Mymenu1

Saturday, 22 August 2015

A Spectacular Fail!!!

I thought maybe I could be clever and save myself a few bob (For those youngsters amongst you that is English old money!! )...

I am fed up of giving my money away to others, when, I could possibly do a job myself, and the insert I need for my table-saw is case in point. Having thought about it, I realised that I had some metal from a portable workbench I had dismantled. I never took metalwork at school, but thought that maybe 57 was not too old to start! :)

Into the workshop, fitted a metal cutting blade to my grinder, and dug out the metal.


The first job was to cut off the  sides, so that I was working with a flat plate.

That was easy enough, then I scored around the original insert to mark the plate for cutting


With a piece of wood to protect my bench, I got started:


I cut the sides, then one end, shaping it on my bench grinder until it was a snug fit, then remarked the other end.

However I realised at this stage that I was wasting my time, without the support it had of the sides, it was just too thin and flexing too much. It fit in the table-saw like a glove, but by the time I would have cut the slot for the blade, there would not have been enough support to hold the blade, therefore there was no point in continuing.

It was worth a try, but now it will wait until I go to the Fabricators!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, however to avoid abusive or inappropriate comments, some will be moderated, before they appear on the site.