Mymenu1

Saturday, 26 March 2016

Mallets!

Yes, my scrapwood challenge yesterday, was to make two mallets from some scrap mahogany



I started off by cutting the handles on the bandsaw, because that would determine the size of the holes needed in the mallet head.


That done, I moved on to the heads, which I was making from scrap 3" x 3", I marked the heads onto the scrap, but kept it as one until I had cut the holes for the handles, it made it much easier to work with.

After marking the positions for the holes, I started by drilling most of the waste out with a forstner bit, then moved on to a beech mallet and chisels.


The mahogany was certainly hard going, and I found myself having to re-sharpen the chisels a couple of times. I lettered the heads to match the handles, so if there was a marginal difference in handle size I wouldn't have a problem with too big a hole.

I then cut the face of the mallets on the compound mitre saw to a 5°angle, gave them all a good sanding, and after assembly, coated them both in mineral oil.


Three hours work, and two mallets I am very pleased with!








2 comments:

  1. Hola Phil, buena idea hacer "mallets" con restos de madera, se va a lista de cosas por hacer.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Héctor, esperamos ver la tuya! Saludos

      Delete

Comments are welcome, however to avoid abusive or inappropriate comments, some will be moderated, before they appear on the site.