Sunday, 6 October 2013

Working in Workshop!

When I have had time to spare over the last two and a bit days, I have been making a table.-saw for the 'workshop, may original plan backfired spectacularly, and it was my oversight. I had planned to use my workmate in it's current form as the base, because the boards swing up onto edge, but I had not taken into account the width of the saw!

So the workmate boards had to be removed, and put to one side, until I can replace them.

The photos tell the story, there was one more glitch, which I still can't account for, that was during the process of gluing the top and bottom 3/4" boards together, they moved, how I have no idea, because they were clamped, but move they did, I did not notice until the glue had dried, I had also screwed them as well, now I have a second blade slot! However if I decide I need to widen the current slot to be able to cut at angles, then this will incorporate the second slot.

The saw is attached from the underside with a screw front and back.the saw has to be wedged in the 'On' position, the only way to turn it on and off is with the plug, so I wanted extra safety features in case the vibration caused it to drop out, I have installed some wooden toggles to ensure my feet are safe, long enough for me to unplug it.

The good thing about this design, is that I can remove the saw, lift the table off and prop it against a wall, and collapse the workmate, if I need the space, all in a couple of minutes. 

When we eventually move, and I no longer need this saw, I will re-instate the workmate, and the now, 1 1/2" plywood top will be turned into wooden bar clamps, so nothing wasted!

No comments:

Post a comment

Comments are welcome, however to avoid abusive or inappropriate comments, some will be moderated, before they appear on the site.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.