Last year I made a mirror for my Mother-in-Law, using reclaimed mahogany found lying in the garden, but over the year, it has twisted, and split, pulling the corner joints apart, so it was time to do something about it.
I went and fetched the mirror this morning, as I had no room in the car to bring it yesterday. I removed the plywood backing and measured the mirror, it is 33 5/8" x 17 3/4", why such an odd measurement? because I had the mirror cut to fit the frame, which being reclaimed timber, I had little control over the size.
Having got my measurements, it was time to prepare the new frame, which will be 2 x 4 pine, then stained.
Time to use my dado blade again, I hope it is some time before I need to buy another, I am enjoying using my new tool.
I prepared two lengths, which will make up the four, and cut a dado 1/2" x 1/2" along both.
I then cut the two lengths to their final size, making four pieces, and mitred them using my sliding mitre saw.
That done, before I started sanding, I drilled the pocket holes to fasten the corners, after which they were all sanded.
The frame was then assembled, using glue and pocket holes, but without the pocket hole screws, because I haven't got any at 2 1/2", so I used washer top screws, not as tidy as using the real thing, but it did the job.